No. 2 Terps To Host Richmond In 2023 Season Opener
#20 Richmond (0-0, 0-0 A10)
#2 Maryland (0-0, 0-0 B1G)
February 4, 2023
1:00 p.m. ET
COLLEGE PARK, MD – No. 2 Maryland (0-0) opens the 2023 season at SECU Stadium against No. 20 Richmond (0-0) Saturday, February 4 at 1 p.m.
The Terrapins are coming off a historic 2022 season in which they became the first undefeated NCAA championship team since 2006 and the only program in NCAA history to end with an 18-0 mark.
Richmond is the reigning Southern Conference champion after posting an 11-4 record in 2022 and bidding for the NCAA tournament where the Spiders lost 11-10 in overtime to 3rd-ranked Penn.
Series History – Richmond
- Maryland is undefeated in two all-time encounters with the Spiders. The 2019 game was held at College Park, while the 2020 two teams played in Richmond.
- The first meeting turned into a one-goal affair in 2019. The Terps drove home a 10-9 win after leading 10-4 early in the fourth quarter. Jared Bernhardt led the Terrapins with five goals. Danny Dolan made 11 saves at the net for Maryland.
- The 2020 meetup took place before the COVID-19 shutdown and saw another one-goal game where the Terps won it by one goal in overtime 14-13 Anthony DeMaio. Logan Wisnauskas led the Terps with seven points from three goals and four assists, while DeMaio had five points from two goals and three assists.
Jared Bernhardt scored five goals in Maryland’s 10-9 win over Richmond in 2019.
The Terps In Season Openers
- Maryland has won 29 straight season openers since the 1994 season. The Terps are 93-3-1 all-time in season openers dating back to the program’s first varsity season in 1924.
- Last year, Maryland dominated High Point, 21-13, on February 5 at College Park. Logan Wisnauskas started his Tewaaraton Award-winning season with eight points, five goals and three assists.
Hat trick Terps
- Maryland has had a hat-trick in 57 straight games since February 2, 2019. Logan Wisanuskas and Jared Bernhardt lead in that span by 37 and 29 hat-tricks, respectively.
- Anthony DeMaio was the last Terp to score a hat-trick, scoring four goals in the 2022 NCAA Championship win over Cornell on May 30.
- The last time a current Terp scored a hat trick was on May 22, 2022 Owen Murphy scored four goals in Maryland’s 18-9 win over Virginia in the NCAA Quarterfinals at Ohio Stadium in Columbus, Ohio.
- Murphy is also the latest current terp to have a hat-trick at home, scoring three goals against Vermont on May 15, 2022.
Terps’ 98th season in men’s lacrosse
- The Terps have an all-time record of 872-277-4 (.755) at the start of the 2023 season, dating back to the first varsity team in 1924 (one team was not fielded in 1944 and 1945 due to World War II). Maryland has finished all 97 seasons with a record .500 or better. The program reached the 800-win milestone with a thrilling 12-6 win away to Albany on April 12, 2017.
- Maryland finished the 2010s decade 134-42 for a .761 win ratio, making it the most successful decade in Terrapin Lacrosse history. Nine of those seasons were under the direction of the head coach Johannes Tilmannwho has a record of 122-38 and a win ratio of .763 at the top of Maryland.
- Maryland Men’s Lacrosse by Decade:
- 2020: 38-2 (.950)
- 2010s: 134-42 (.761)
- 2000s: 111-49 (.694)
- 1990s: 95-47 (.669)
- 1980s: 83-41 (.669)
Maryland posted a 134-42 (.761) record in the 2010s, highlighted by the 16-3 2017 NCAA Championship season.
- The Terrapins welcome two new assistant coaches in 2023.
- Jake Bernhardt rejoined the staff on July 6, 2022 after five seasons at the University of Vermont, where he worked under fellow Terp Chris Feifs. During his tenure, the Catamounts twice won the America East, made their first two NCAA tournaments in program history, and went 44-24. Bernhardt was an employee of the Terrapins as Director of Operations in 2014.
- Tim O’Branski joined the Terps in September 2022 as the team’s volunteer assistant coach. Before becoming a terp, O’Branski spent two years as an offensive coordinator and recruiting coordinator at Mercer University.
Click here for this week’s match notes.