No. 18 Illinois Ready for Bounce Back Weekend vs. No. 10 Nebraska, at Michigan State
All rankings according to InterMat.
CHAMPAGNE, Ill.— The No. 18 Fighting Illini Wrestling Squad gears up for their final home game of the season on Friday, February 3 at 7:00pm CT when they welcome No. 10 Nebraska to the Big Ten. Illinois completes its Big Ten schedule Sunday, February 5 in the state of Michigan on BTN at 1:00 p.m. CT.
The Illini came off a 24-9 loss at No. 11 Minnesota last Saturday, Jan. 28. Red shirt sophomore Luke Byrd defeated Jake Gliva 3-1 to extend his winning streak to nine. Red Shirt Junior Zac Braunagel continues its best season yet. He is now on a 10-game winning streak after TB-1’s 5-4 win over No. 27 Michial Foy. Sixth year Mike Carr improved to 3-0 with his 11-6 decision over Sebas Swiggum.
RECOGNIZING THE OPPONENT
No. 10 Nebraska enters State Farm Center with a 7-3 (3-1 B1G) record for the season. Illinois is 4-9 all-time against Nebraska, with the first meeting dating back to February 4, 1939 (Illinois won 23-3). The last meeting between the two was on February 13, 2022 in Lincoln, Neb. and Illinois lost by 11:23. Illinois’ most recent win over the Huskers came on January 5, 2018 at Huff Hall.
There are five common adversaries between the Cornhuskers and Illini.
- No. 8 NC State (Neb. lost 10-23) (Ill. lost 12-27).
- No. 11 Minnesota (Neb. won 21-9) (Ill. lost 9-24)
- No. 14 Northwestern (Neb. won 22-15) (Ill. lost 17-17, game points).
- No. 2 Iowa (Neb. lost 6-34) (Ill. lost 25-19).
- No. 19 Wisconsin (Neb. won 24-11) (Ill. won 18-17).
Michigan State will hold an 8-5 (1-5 B1G) record when the Illini arrive Sunday. Illinois is 22-40-3 all-time against MSU, with the first meeting dating back to January 19, 1946 (Illinois lost 11-15). The Illini are currently on a six-match win streak against the Spartans from January 22, 2012 to January 31, 2012. January 2020. Illinois won the last meeting 18-12 in Champaign.
There are two common adversaries between the Spartans and Illini.
- No. 11 Minnesota (MSU lost 11-21) (Ill. lost 9-24).
- Maryland (MSU won 37-9) (Ill. won 29-11).
- #10 Luke Byrd 20-3, extends winning streak to nine.
- #10 Zac Braunagel 19-3 on a 10-game winning streak.
- Mike Carr stands a perfect 3-0 in his return.
- #16 Danny Puccino and No. 20 Danny Braunagel lead the illini to the year with four pins each.
- Illinois is still looking for its first away win, they are 0-3.
- The Illini are currently on a six-match win streak against the Spartans from January 22, 2012 to January 31, 2012. January 2020. Illinois won the last meeting 18-12 in Champaign.
- Illinois is 22-40-3 all-time against MSU, first meeting dating back to January 19, 1946.