K-State Pays Visit to Baylor on Wednesday
Kansas State (12-6, 1-4 Big 12) at (rv/17) Baylor (12-5, 3-2 Big 12)
January 18, 2023 | 7 p.m. | Ferrell Center (10,284) | Waco, Texas
Big 12 now on ESPN+
Play by Play: John Morris
Analyst: Jim Haller
K-State Sports Network
Play by Play: Brian Smoller
Analyst: Randy Peterson
Series History vs. Baylor
• Baylor leads the series with K-State, 42-10.
• Head Coach Jeff Mittie is 2-24 against Baylor.
MANHATTAN, Kansas- K-State (12-6, 1-4 Big 12) is taking a midweek trip to Waco, Texas where the Wildcats take on (rv/17) Baylor (12-5, 3-2) at 7 p.m. on Wednesday
• Wednesday’s game will be broadcast on ESPN+’s Big 12 Now as John Morris (play-by-play) and Jim Haller (analyst) will have the call.
Five names, numbers, or storylines about K-State WBB
1. K-State before record
• The Wildcats have shot 77.3 percent from the free throw line this season. This would surpass the school record for a season’s free throw percentage, which was set at 76.2 percent last season.
2. Fast-Handed Sisters
• The second sister duo of Brylee and Jaelyn Glenn have combined 81 steals (Jaelyn – 45; Brylee – 36). Jaelyn leads the Big 12 in steals per game (2.5) while Brylee is fifth (2.00). The pair are responsible for 49.1 percent of K-State’s steals this season.
3. Gregory Equals Transfer Mark
• Senior Gaby Gregory has scored 335 points (19.7 ppg) as a team leader this season. Her 335 points ties with 2011-12 season Tasha Dickey for most points through a Wildcat transfer in her first season with the program.
4. Sun(dell) block
• Sophomore Watch Serena Sundell leads K-State in blocked shots (17) and blocks per game (0.94 bpg). Sundell has an active streak of one or more blocked shots in nine straight games.
5. Sundell does everything
• According to HerHoopStats, Sundell is one of five players in the country currently averaging at least 11 points, five rebounds and five assists. She has five games this season with at least 11 points, five rebounds and five assists in the same competition.
number to know
20 x 5
• With Brylee Glenns 24 points against Texas Tech on Jan. 17, K-State has five different players with at least one 20-point game this season.
• The Wildcats are tied with Texas for the most players in the Big 12 with 20 or more points scored in a game this season.
• Wildcats with games of 20 or more points this season are: Gaby Gregory (11), Serena Sundell (1), Jaelyn Glenn (1), Sarah Schematsi (1) and Brylee Glenn (1).
• The five different wildcats with 20 or more points are the most in the Jeff Mittie Era and most for the program since the 2011–12 season (5).
last time out
Texas Tech 85, K-State 65 (January 14, 2023; Manhattan, Kan.)
• K-State suffered its third straight home loss and second home loss as Texas Tech secured an 85-65 win over the Wildcats on Saturday.
• The Wildcats shot under 40 percent as a team for the fourth time in five Big 12 competitions this season.
• Brylee Glenn scored a career-high 24 points Serena Sundell added 11 points and Sarah Schematsi counted 10.
K-State attacks the color
• Despite missing the 2022 All-American Center Ayoka Leethe Wildcats continue to find buckets in the paint.
• Kansas State has 548 points in lane (30.4 ppg) this season, including a high of 48 against Oklahoma State on Jan. 4. The Wildcats have scored 30 or more points in the paint in nine games this season.
• Last season, K-State scored 1,044 points in the paint (31.6 ppg), which is 47.9 percent of their total points. The Wildcats recorded 40 or more points in the paint in nine games. The Wildcats held the edge in 20 games (15-5).
• Last season’s 1,044 points was the second-highest in the Jeff Mittie Epoch. K-State’s 47.9 percent total scoring percentage is the third-highest in the Mittie era.
• Under Mittie, K-State has scored 900 or more points in the color in seven of his eight seasons, including a high of 1,064 points (31.3 ppg) in the 2016-17 season.
Cats cash in at the Charity Stripe
• Kansas State continues to earn trips to the free-throw line, which is a trend with the head coach Jeff Mittie‘s time at K-State.
• The Wildcats have shot 77.3 percent (290 of 375) from the foul line this season. K-State has scored 22.1 percent of its points from the foul line this season.
• Kansas State ranks third in the Big 12 and 26th nationally in terms of free throw percentage.
• K-State has shot 80.0 percent or more off the line seven times this season (5-2), including a high of 94.7 percent (18 of 19) against South Dakota State on December 10.
• The Wildcats have hit 20 or more free throws in a game four times this season.
• On November 25 against northern Arizona, the Wildcats had a season-high with 28 free throws and 39 free throws. The 39 tries were the most in the Mittie era and the most since K-State tried 41 against Colorado on January 13, 1990.
• 28 fouls made was the most since K-State made 29 against TCU on March 1, 2021.
• Last season, K-State had 420 of 551 (.762) shots from the foul line. K-State gets 19.3 percent of its overall score from the charity strip.
• K-State’s 76.2 percent free-throw rate sets a school record for teams’ free-throw rate in a single season.
• The Wildcats ranked second in the Big 12 and 27th in the nation for free throw percentage and second in all-league games (.765).
• This was the seventh season under Mittie that K-State had 350 or more free throws in one season, peaking at 462 in the 2016-17 season. K-State’s 420 free throws this season are the most since the 2018-19 season (424).
• The Wildcats made at least 80.0 percent of their free throws in a game 14 times last season (11-3). K-State had more free throw attempts than their opponents in 16 games (12-4).
Glenn finds the reach
• Jaelyn Glenn remains a perimeter threat to K-State.
• The Kansas City, Missouri guard has shot 35 of 106 (.330) from 3-point range this season. She ranks 10th in the Big 12 in 3-point field goals per game (1.94).
• She has 22 career games with two or more 3-point connections, including four games with four or more. This season, she has 12 games with two or more long-haul connections, including a season high four against Northern Arizona on Nov. 25 and Iowa State on Jan. 11.
• Glenn is the 15th player in the history of the program and the seventh in the Jeff Mittie Era to count 75 or more career 3 point field goals and 80 or more career steals.
• A season ago, Glenn was second on the team in 3-point field goals made (42) and 3-point field goal percentage (.302).
• In West Virginia on Jan. 8, Glenn hit a career-high six 3-pointers on a career-high 11 tries.
• Glenn has been the first K-State freshman since Rachel Ranke on February 26, 2018 at Texas Tech to make six 3-pointers in one game. Glenn’s six connections were the most by a wildcat since Sydney Goodson made six connections in Oklahoma on March 7, 2021.
Glenn through the lens
• Guard Brylee Glenn furthermore various statistics for the Wildcats.
• This season Glenn has averaged 9.4 points with a .436 field goal percentage, 3.1 rebounds and 2.0 steals. She has had double-digit scoring chances in nine games.
• Glenn ranks fifth in the Big 12 for steals per game.
• Against Texas Tech on Jan. 14, Glenn scored a career-high 24 points with 8-of-13 shots and tied her career-high with three connections from across the arc.
• On December 18 against Northern Colorado, Glenn had six career steals, the most from a wildcat this season with her sister. Jaelyn Glenn.
• In the 2021/22 season, Glenn was third on the team with 8.2 points. She had 2.6 rebounds, 1.3 assists and 1.3 steals. In league games, Glenn averaged 7.9 points, 2.7 rebounds, 1.6 assists and 1.4 steals.
• The Kansas City, Missouri product had 10 games to score 10 or more points and conceded two or more steals in 13 games.
• Glenn joined his teammate Serena Sundell on the 2022 Big 12 All-Freshman Team as voted on by the league’s coaches.
• Glenn was named Big 12 Freshman of the Week on December 6th, December 20th and February 7th.
• At Iowa State, Glenn hit a career high on Feb. 2 with 19 points, including 17 in the fourth quarter.
• In her NCAA tournament debut against Washington State on March 19, Glenn scored 14 points, including a career-best 7-of-8 shot from the free throw line.