No. 2 Women’s Tennis Tops No. 5 Georgia
CHAPEL HILL, NC – The No. 2 University of North Carolina women’s tennis team is now 12-0 in the season after beating No. 5 Georgia 5-2 Wednesday night at the Cone-Kenfield Tennis Center.
Despite falling behind after a first-place Bulldog win, the Tar Heels stormed back to secure the opening point and remain undefeated in doubles this season. Forbes Abbey and Reilly Tran leveled things out after a hard-fought 6-4 win over Anastasiia Lopata and Ania Hertel in third place.
Fiona Crawley and Carson Tanguilig proved why they are the No. 1 duo in the country. After falling 5-3 in second place, the pair made a tough comeback, winning four straight to claim the point with a 7-5 win over Meg Kowalski and Mell Reasco.
The No.8 Tangguilig brought that momentum to the singles as she quickly extended UNC’s lead to 2-0 after a 6-4, 6-2 win over third-placed Reasco. However, the visiting team came within one after No. 31 Dasha Vidmanova survived Reese Brantmeier 2-6, 6-4, 6-3 in second place.
Forbes, the nation’s fifth-ranked player, quickly improved the Tar Heels by two after her 7-6 (7-5), 6-4 win over No. 100 Kowalski in fourth.
Though she lost the first set 3-6 to Ania Hertel in fifth position, No.58 Elizabeth Scotty rebounded for a pair of 6-4 sets to win it for Carolina. It was her second crucial point of the season.
Deciding to play the match, Tran grabbed a 6-2, 4-6, 6-4 win over sixth-place Lopata to seal the 5-2 victory.
Next, the Tar Heels travel February 10-13 at the Nordstrom Tennis Center on the Washington campus to Seattle, Washington for the ITA National Team Indoor Championship. UNC has won the last three league titles and six in the last 10 seasons.
1. No. 19 Ma (UGA) def. #1 Crawley (UNC), 2-6, 7-6 (8-6), 6-1
2. No. 31 Vidmanova (UGA) def. Brantmeier (UNC), 2-6, 6-4, 6-3
3. No. 8 Tangulig (UNC) def. Reasco (UGA), 6-4, 6-2
4. No. 5 Forbes (UNC) def. No.100 Kowalski (UGA), 7-6 (7-5), 6-4
5. No. 58 Scotty (UNC) def. Hertel (UGA), 3-6, 6-4, 6-4
6. No. 48 Tran (UNC) def. No. 64 Lopata (UGA), 6-2, 4-6, 6-4
Order of finish: 3, 2, 4, 5*, 1, 6
1. Grant/Nirundorn (UGA) def. Scotty/Brantmeier (UNC), 6-3
2. No. 1 Crawley/Tanguilig (UNC) def. Kowalskia/Reasco (UGA), 7-5
3. Forbes/Tran (UNC) def. Lopata/Hertel (UGA), 6-4
Finish order: 1, 3, 2*
Keep up to date with all UNC Women’s Tennis news by following them Twitter or Instagram.