Merkulov’s Power Play Tally Lifts P-Bruins Past Wolf Pack
February 1, 2023 — American Hockey League (AHL) — Providence Bruins press release
HARTFORD, CT — Georgii Merkulov scored a power-play goal in the third period with 11:05 to go to propel the Providence Bruins to a 4-2 win over the Hartford Wolf Pack at the XL Center on Wednesday night. Chris Wagner, John Beecher and Joona Koppanen scored the other goals for the P-Bruins. Goaltender Kyle Keyser stopped 25 shots in the competition.
How it happened
Jonny Brodzinski slid the puck out from behind the net onto Will Cuylle’s tape, who was parked to the left of the crease. Cuylle licked it into the back net to give Hartford a 1-0 lead with 14-37 left in the first period.
In the 2-on-1, Koppanen flicks the puck to Wagner on the right, who fires a quick shot from the right circle for a 1-1 equalizer at 12-13 in the first period. Eduards Tralmaks was credited with the second assist.
While playing 4-on-4, Zac Jones guided the puck from the left circle through several Providence defenders and alone to the keeper, where he decimated the backhand and scored to give Hartford a 2-1 lead, the second 13:11 remained period.
Josiah Didier edged the puck around the glass and as the goaltender stepped behind the net to play the puck it bounced off the support and into the slot where Beecher shot it into wide open net to level the game 2-2 to equalize 8:12 to play in the second period. Connor Carrick also received an assist.
During the power play, Carrick kept the puck on top and then fed it to Merkulov in the right circle, who hammered a one-timer past the keeper to put the P-Bruins 3-2 up, 11:05 down were the third period. Fabian Lysell received the second assist.
Koppanen scored an empty net goal with 1 second left.
Merkulov’s goal was his fourth power play of the season, good for second place on the team.
Koppanen scored his fourth multi-point game of the season.
Keyser made 25 saves. Providence a total of 25 shots in the competition.
The P-Bruins’ power play was 1-2 and the penalty shoot-out was 3-3.
The P-Bruins travel to Lehigh Valley to face off against the Phantoms on Friday, February 3rd at the PPL Center. Puck drop is scheduled for 7:05pm ET.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board…
- Petan’s hat trick elevates Iowa to 5-3 win over Texas, Wild breaks franchise record with 12-game point streak – Iowa Wild
- Wild Salvage Split of Series in Texas – Texas Stars
- Penguins are spoiled by T-Birds special teams in a 3-2 loss – Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Crunch Defeat Comets 4-3 in 7 Round Shootout – Syracuse Crunch
- Jones scores a highlight reel goal but the pack doubled 4-2 from Bruins – Hartford Wolf Pack
- Comets score points in shootout loss to crunch, 4-3 – Utica Comets
- Bears defeated by Phantoms 5-2 – Hershey Bears
- Peca’s First Propels T-Birds to 6th Straight Victory – Springfield Thunderbirds
- Merkulov’s power play tally lifts P-Bruins past Wolf Pack – Providence Bruins
- Abbotsford Canucks Announce February Community & Fan Engagement Nights – Abbotsford Canucks
- Admirals Host Teddy Bear Toss Saturday – Milwaukee Admirals
- Jussi Olkinuora leaves for Europe – Grand Rapids Griffins
- Added Ruslan Iskhakov to the Atlantic Division roster for the 2023 AHL All-Star Classic – Bridgeport Islanders
- Roster Changes Announced for 2023 Bell AHL All-Star Classic – AHL
- Notebook: Road Warriors, Finding Fits and More – Charlotte Checkers
- Amerks Renew Partnership with Seneca Park Zoo Society for Defend the Ice Month – Rochester Americans
- TJ Tynan Named AHL Player of the Month – Ontario Reign
- Tynan, Frank, Wallstedt Named AHL Award Winners for January – AHL
- Ethen Frank was named January’s AHL Rookie of the Month – Hershey Bears
- Griffins & Sled Wings Sled Hockey Game Returns February 8th – Grand Rapids Griffins
- The Blue Jackets assign defensemen Tim Berni and Marcus Bjork to the Monsters – Cleveland Monsters
- The Bridgeport Report: Week 15 – Bridgeport Islanders
- Game Preview: Iowa Wild at Texas Stars – Iowa Wild
- Wolf Pack Continues Homestand With Visit From Bruins – Hartford Wolf Pack
- Match Preview: Bears at Phantoms, 7:05 p.m. – Hershey Bears
- Aliaksei Protas on loan to Bears – Hershey Bears
- The Roadrunners’ four-game winning streak ends with a loss to Condors in Bakersfield – Tucson Roadrunners
- Reign Stop Eagles – Ontario Reign
- First-season meltdown brings down Eagles in 5-2 loss to Ontario – Colorado Eagles
- Elmer Soderblom and Jakub Vrana lead Grand Rapids to a 2-1 win – Grand Rapids Griffins
The opinions expressed in this press release are those of the organization issuing it and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its employees.