$1 Million Winning Powerball Ticket Sold In CT, Jackpot Soars To $800M
CONNECTICUT — A Connecticut resident wakes up $1 million richer after bagging a big consolation prize in the $700 million Powerball jackpot on Wednesday. No one won the top prize and the Powerball jackpot has grown to $800 million for Saturday, October 29th drawing.
And if you’re curious, when you win the $800 million jackpot, it’s actually $383.7 million in a one-time cash payout. Still not that bad.
Powerball numbers are drawn every Monday, Wednesday, and Saturday at 10:59 p.m. Eastern Time, with Powerball results typically being released within 5 minutes.
The Powerball winning numbers for Wednesday October 26 are: 19, 36, 37, 46, 56 and the Powerball of 24.
A $1 million winner was sold in Connecticut, meaning all 5 numbers matched. In addition to the $1 million winner, 33,018 “winning tickets” were sold in Connecticut, which simply means people won between $4 million and $1 million.
Ticket sales end at least one hour before the draw in most states. Check with your state lottery for the cut-off time.
The largest Powerball jackpot in history was $1.586 billion, split between winners in California, Florida and Tennessee in January 2016.
To win the Powerball jackpot, a player must hit all five white balls in any order and the red Powerball number. The probability of picking the right Powerball grand prize numbers is one in 292,201,338, which doesn’t change when more players buy tickets when the jackpot is huge.
According to lottery officials, you have a better chance of winning the Powerball jackpot if you let the computer choose your numbers. Approximately 75 percent of tickets won over the years had numbers selected by a computer.
Powerball tickets are $2 each. Here are places to buy your Powerball tickets.
Lottery officials have advice for those who have the winning numbers:
- Sign your winning ticket. Write your full name and signature on the back of the winning ticket. If you lose your ticket, putting your name on the ticket means no one else can redeem it.
- Keep your winning ticket in a safe place. Take steps to protect your winning lottery ticket by storing it in a safe place where it will not be accidentally discarded.
- Get legal and financial advice. It may be wise to speak to some experienced professionals such as a lawyer, an accountant or an investment advisor to help you manage your profits. Powerball numbers are drawn every Monday, Wednesday, and Saturday at 10:59 p.m. Eastern Time, with Powerball results typically being released within 5 minutes.
These are the five biggest Powerball jackpots in the game’s history:
- $1.586 billion, January 13, 2016
- $768.4 million, March 27, 2019
- $758.7 million, August 23, 2017
- $731.1 million, January 20, 2021
- $688 million, October 27, 2018
Winners can choose to either withdraw the full jackpot amount in 30 installments over 29 years, or winners can choose to take a lump sum payment that is less than the actual amount.